Sunday, September 9, 2012

A little about Grady

My scedule is to ride Monday and Tuesday with Ronnie Puckett, and Thursdays and Fridays with Todd Clark.  Starting at 0630-1830.  To get the truck ready and everything I arrive at 6, and we don't usually get back to the station till 7.  If we get back sooner than 7, we still have to wash the truck.  So I usually leave between 1900-1930.  I love my schedule though, I couldn't have asked for better days!  I can basically pick any other days I want to add ride alongs either with my preceptors or different ones based on when I want to go.  Love having the options. :) 

Most medics here do a 3 schedule where they only work 3 days a week of 12 hours.  Everything about their medicine is pretty straight forward.  I felt like Rexburg had TONS of options of drugs they could use compared to Grady.  Pain Med= Fentanyl, Benzo.= Versed, then they have all the typical drugs atropine, epi, mag sulfate, nitro, aspirin, amiodarone, toradol, albuterol, decadron... that's all I can think of, like I said straight forward. 

The treatment here is different than what I was thinking, just because of what I was used to.  Most of the time it's just a simple pick up for somebody who isn't in critical need.  We'll even bring patients to the hospital just to sit in the waiting room.  Sometimes because there aren't any beds, other times becuase they don't need to be seen right away so they go to the waiting room.  Most patients don't get a full assessment becuase it is unnecessary to them.  They just know what will happen and I haven't caught on to that yet. 

There are also time restraints on everything.  So based on the call we'll have 7, 10, 15, or 20 minutes to get to the scene.  Once on scene we have 10 minutes, unless they tell dispatch what they are doing and how long they will be.  At the hospital we ahve 15 minutes to drop off the patient and get our cot ready and be back in service.

Grady hospital is such a unique hospital, I love it!  When we bring a patient to grady we always lock the doors of the ambulance becuase of  the area we're in.  We bring the patient through the first sliding doors where a cop asks "Do you have any weapons?" Then proceeds to scan them with a metal detector and puts a sticker on them with their number in line.  So crazy! 

I'm excited to have more experiences and see what else this city has to show me!! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment